Jim Richardson helps clients resolve high-stakes legal disputes through trial or arbitration. A leading trial lawyer with more than thirty years' experience in complex litigation, Jim is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Jim is recognized by BL Rankings' Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation, along with being named one the Top 50 Super Lawyers© in the Central and West Texas Region by Thomson Reuters. He currently serves as President-Elect of the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Founded in 1977, NBTA is the largest organization for attorney board certification in the United States, offering proven, tested excellence® in trial advocacy through a rigorous ABA-approved national certification program.
A Member of the Austin Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Jim began his professional career with Fulbright & Jaworski in Houston, Texas, now Norton Rose Fulbright. He later twice served as managing partner and lead trial counsel for two renowned litigation boutiques in Austin.
Practice Areas: Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Fraud, Breach of Contract, Real Estate Litigation, Business Torts and Technology, Construction Litigation, Professional Liability and Legal Malpractice, Employment, Environmental Litigation, Negligence, and Trusts and Estates.
Honors and Recognitions
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2018-present
- BL Rankings' Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation, 2012-2020
- Top 50 Texas Super Lawyers®, Central and West Texas Region, by Thomson Reuters, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers®, The National Trial Lawyers™
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Law Firms™ by BL Rankings
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Austin Chapter Member
- Martindale-Hubbell/LexisNexis, Rated AV®Preeminent™ 5.0-5
- Editor-in-Chief, Tulsa Law Review
- Outstanding Law Graduate, Oklahoma Bar Association
- Board Certified – Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified – Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified – Civil Practice Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
Bar and Professional Activity
- President-Elect, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2018-2020); Executive Committee (2016-present); Board of Directors (2015-2018); State Coordinator–Texas (2013-present); Civil Trial Advocate (2002-present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) (2012-present)
- State Bar of Texas, Member (1981-present); Rules of Evidence Committee (1996-98); Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee (2000-04); Panel Chair, District 9A Grievance Committee (2002-03)(Member from 1997); Member, Pro Bono College (2019-present); Member, College of the State Bar of Texas (2002 to present)
- Austin Bar Association, Board of Directors (1997-99); Past-Chair, Civil Litigation Section (Immediate Past-Chair, 2016-17; Chair, 2015-16; Vice-Chair, 2013-14; Treasurer, 2012-13; Secretary 2011-12)
- The National Trial Lawyers™, Member
- American College of Board Certified Attorneys, Fellow (2015-present)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow (2015-present)
- American Inns of Court, Robert W. Calvert Chapter, Master (2005-present)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow (1999-present)
- Austin Bar Foundation, Founding Life Fellow (2005-present)
- Special Counsel to the Attorney General, State of Texas (1981-82)
- Course Director/Moderator, Civil Trial Workshop, National Board of Trial Advocacy All Star Conferences, New Orleans, Louisiana (2018)
- Presenter, 14th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®, Voir Dire, Presented by Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (2018)
- Presenter, 13th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook®, Trial Advocacy Skills, Presented by Austin Bar Association Civil Litigation Section (2017)
- Course Director/Presenter, Essential Trial Advocacy Workshop®, Winning Motions, Presented by National Board of Trial Advocacy, Hosted by Jackson Walker LLP (2017)
- Co-Chair/Moderator, 12th Annual Ultimate Trial Notebook® 2016 (additionally co-chaired 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th Annual conferences)
- Presenter, Model State Emergency Health Powers Act (2015)
- Presenter, Texas Lawyers and the Disciplinary Process (2014)
- Presenter, Lawyers and Social Network Media Websites: Litigation and Advertising Issues (2009)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2009)
- “Ask a Super Lawyer,” Automated Camera Defenses, Texas Monthly (2006)
- Presenter, Litigating Disaster Recovery Issues (2006)
- Author, Advanced Courtroom Evidence Examination, National Board of Trial Advocacy (2006)
- Co-Chair and Presenter, National Business Institute, How to Litigate Your First Civil Trial in Texas, Austin, Texas (2002)
- Panelist, Review of Litigation/Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism, Conflicts of Interest Symposium: Cutting Edge Conflicts of Interest Hypotheticals, Austin, Texas (1997)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Austin Bar Association, Offering and Excluding Evidence in Commercial Trials, Austin, Texas (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Sanctions and Alternatives to Sanctions, Houston, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Texas Rules of Evidence: Predicates and Exclusions for Selected Rules, Lake Tahoe, Nevada (1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, Fort Worth, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Presenter, Advanced Civil Trial Course, Offering and Excluding Evidence, San Antonio, Texas (State Bar of Texas 1996)
- Panelist, Houston Board of Realtors, Dual Agency and Broker Liability, Houston, Texas (1986)
- Nova Health Systems, Preparing for the Jury Trial, San Antonio, Texas (1986)
- Author, Whom Do You Represent? Knowing Your Principals – Accidental Agency (co-author), 39 Texas Realtor 6 (Feb. 1986)
- Panelist, Texas Association of Realtors, Litigation Tips for the Unwary, Austin, Texas (1985)
- Author, Helicopteros Nacionales v. Hall: Clarifying the Limits of Personal Jurisdiction, 48 Texas Bar J. 651 (1985)
Representative Verdicts and Settlements
- Represented lawyers in connection with an alleged claim for $250 million relating to development of an application specific integrated circuit on Intel motherboards, judgment for client.
- Lead Plaintiffs' counsel in prosecuting fraud and construction defect claims related to the sale of a 350,000 square-foot office building, confidential settlement reached.
- Represented racetrack on multimillion-dollar claims pertaining to architectural services, confidential settlement reached after a ten-jury day trial.
- Multiparty lead counsel in United States Superfund litigation including claims under the Clean Water Act related to creosote mining operation, confidential settlement reached.
- Prosecuted claims against national air cargo carrier for breach of lease and jet fuel contract, confidential settlement reached on the first day of trial.
- Represented roof tile manufacturer in connection with significant alleged construction defect claims by one of Austin's largest condominium projects.
- Prosecuted one of Texas' largest lawsuits for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty related to insider commercial real estate loans, confidential settlement reached.
- Prosecuted multimillion-dollar claims for invasion of privacy and destruction of computer evidence related to high technology remote electronic surveillance, confidential settlement reached.
- Prosecuted claims for breach of real estate partnership agreement and fraud, confidential settlement reached following a five-day jury winning verdict.
- Represented exterior insulation and finish system manufacturer in connection with alleged construction defect claims for water intrusion.
- Prosecuted claims against a Fortune 100 bank for material breach of contract, confidential settlement reached after a five-day winning verdict.
- Prosecuted claims against a Fortune 500 petroleum company for wrongful termination of an executive employee, confidential settlement reached after a ten-day jury trial.
- Represented executor of a multimillion-dollar estate on claims of constructive fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, case dismissed.
- Represented an independent executor against alleged claims for breach of fiduciary duty relating to an ongoing automobile dealership, judgment for the executor.
- University of California at Los Angeles (1977) – B.A. Magna Cum Laude in Political Science
- University of Tulsa College of Law (1981) – Juris Doctor, Highest Honors